Breaking: Orioles Owner’s Passing Sparks Legal Drama & Billion-Dollar Sale! What’s Next for the Team?

The Orioles shared the sad of the passing of their long-standing owner, Peter Angelos, died at the age of 94 on Saturday.

Angelos, along with other investors, acquired the franchise for $173 million back in 1993. In recent years, his sons, John and Louis, took on primary operational roles due to his declining health.

Baltimore Orioles
(Image source: )

Expressing gratitude to the medical professionals who cared for Angelos during his illness, the team noted his wish for a private burial and requested donations to charity in place of flowers.

During Angelos' ownership, the Orioles saw periods of success, notably becoming postseason contenders after signing key players like Rafael Palmeiro before the 1994 season. Despite reaching the ALCS in 1996 and 1997, they faced a lengthy postseason drought thereafter.

The franchise has shown promise recently, with a young core of players like Adley Rutschman, Gunnar Henderson, Ryan Mountcastle, and Jackson Holliday, supported by veterans including Corbin Burnes, Craig Kimbrel, Cedric Mullins, and Anthony Santander.

In January, the Angelos family agreed to sell the club to private equity investors for an estimated $1.725 billion. Orioles legend Cal Ripken Jr. is also involved as an investor.

The sale followed a legal dispute within the Angelos family, with Louis alleging that he was being sidelined from the family's wealth.

The buyers are set to acquire 40% of the franchise initially, with plans to purchase the remaining 60% at a later date. However, the exact timeline for the deal's completion remains uncertain.

Leave a Reply